The HLTAID004 – Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting is the industry standard, Nationally Recognised (AQF) First Aid course that meets the Australian Children’s Education & Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) First Aid, anaphylaxis and asthma management training requirements of child care educators.
In the Provide an Emergency First Aid Response in an Education and Care Setting course, participants learn how to manage emergency situations and provide care for patients with common illnesses and injuries including asthma and anaphylaxis.
- Unit of Competency- HLTAID004 – Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting
- This course includes HLTAID003 – Provide first aid and HLTAID001 – Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation units of competencies.
- Qualification is typically valid for three years from date of issue
Initial Certification (Full Course) – $150.00
Recertification (Update/Refresher) – $150.00
Full Course – Initial Certification:
- For individuals that have never completed a HLTAID004 – Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting course before or do not currently hold a current (non-expired) HLTAID004 – Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting.
- Participants are required to complete pre-course online learning before attending the one day course, which comprises of theory and practical training with assessment.
Update Course – Recertification:
- For individuals that hold a current (non-expired) HLTAID004 – Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting certificate and are looking to update or ‘refresh’ it.
- Participants are required to attend a one day course which comprises of theory and practical training with assessment. There are no pre-course study requirements for update course participants.
- Participants must be 16 years or older.
- Participants under 18 years of age attending public courses at licensed clubs must be accompanied by an parent or guardian (aged over 18 years) that is also enrolled in the course.
- To apply for the Update/Refresher course – participants must hold and present a current (not expired) HLTAID004 – Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting certificate (Statement of Attainment).
Course materials Provided:
- First Aid Manual
- Pre-study module (if required)
- Information sheets
- Resources for practical training
- Electronic Statement of Attainment (certificate)
- First aid codes of practice and industry workplace policies and procedures
- First Aid Principles
- Infection Control & Hygiene
- Legal Aspects of First Aid
- Incident approach and management
- Workplace reporting
- Patient assessment
- Basic Life Support
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Automated External Defibrillation (AED)
- CPR pocket mask and shield use
- Bleeding Control
- Crush Injuries
- Needle Stick Injuries
- Ear & Eye injuries
- Abdominal Injuries
- Burns and Scalds
- Head, Neck & Spinal injuries
- Fractures, Dislocations & Soft Tissue Injuries
- Medical conditions – diabetes, epilepsy & seizures
- Allergic reactions & Anaphylaxis
- Choking and airway obstruction
- Heat and cold emergencies (hypothermia, hyperthermia, dehydration and heat stroke)
- Cardiac Conditions
- Poisoning & Envenomation
This First Aid course includes both a theoretical and practical assessment component. Theory assessment includes the completion of a multiple choice theory paper and for initial certification, the completion of a pre-course workbook.
Practical Assessment includes formal assessment of practical skills including resuscitation skills. Please note all participants must be able to perform at least two minutes of uninterrupted CPR on both an infant, a child and an adult resuscitation manikin placed on the floor (6 minutes in total) to be marked as competent.
On successful completion of this First Aid course, participants will be awarded the nationally accredited statement of attainment – HLTAID004 – Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting through our partner RTO – Healthcorp – RTO ID 91222.