With the holidays fast approaching, it’s important to ensure that you have a well-stocked First Aid kit on hand. If an accident or an emergency does happen, you know that you have the appropriate First Aid equipment ready to go. It’s a good idea to have a First Aid kit for not only for your home, but in your car, boat, camping gear and anywhere where you spend your leisure time.
Contents of a First Aid Kit
The OHS regulation outlines that a basic first aid kit should include:
- Disposable Gloves (at least 2 pairs)
- Triangular Bandages (minimum 90cm size)
- Gauze bandages
- Wound Dressings
- Adhesive plastic dressing strips (i.e. ‘Band-Aids’)
- Adhesive dressing tape
- Plastic Amputated Body Part Bags
- Safety Pins (packet)
- First Aid Pamphlet or Manual
Other First Aid Kit Items
Other items you might include in your First Aid kit include:
- Splinter forceps
- Antiseptic swabs
- Dressing Tape
- Eye Pads
- Sterile Eyewash Solution
- Rescue/Thermal Blanket
- Resuscitation mask or face shield
Things to Remember
- Ensure all items are in your First Aid kit.
- Ensure all contents are in good condition and in their packaging.
- Ensure the items are within any expiry date.
- Check your First Aid kit regularly and replace items when you use them or when they expire.
- Make sure the first aid kit is easily accessible and in a known location.
- Consider doing a First Aid course, so you know how to properly use your First Aid equipment.